A locksmith who can program keys is typically referred to as an automotive locksmith or a car key programmer. These professionals specialize in creating, duplicating, and programming keys for vehicles, including traditional keys, transponder keys, key fobs, and electronic keys. Here's what you need to know about locksmiths who can program keys:
1. Services: Automotive locksmiths can provide a range of services, including key cutting, key programming, key fob replacement, ignition repair, and unlocking vehicles when you're locked out.
2. Key Types: They can work with various types of keys and key systems, including traditional mechanical keys, transponder keys (which have a chip for added security), remote key fobs, and smart keys (which are equipped with advanced electronic features).
3. Programming: Programming keys is a specialized skill that automotive locksmiths possess. They can reprogram or replace keys to work with your vehicle's immobilizer system, ensuring that the car starts and runs correctly.
4. Vehicle Compatibility: It's essential to ensure that the automotive locksmith you choose is familiar with your vehicle's make and model. Different car manufacturers and models may have unique key systems and programming methods.
5. Mobile Services: Many automotive locksmiths offer mobile services, which means they can come to your location to provide assistance. This can be especially helpful if you're locked out of your car or need key programming services on the spot.
6. Licensing and Certification: When hiring an automotive locksmith, it's a good idea to verify their licensing and certification. Reputable locksmiths should be licensed and insured, and they may hold certifications from organizations like the Associated Locksmiths of America (ALOA).
7. Cost: The cost of automotive locksmith services can vary depending on the complexity of the job, the type of key or key fob involved, and your location. Be sure to get a clear estimate before agreeing to any services.
8. Emergency Services: Automotive locksmiths often offer 24/7 emergency services for situations like lockouts, lost keys, or broken keys.